Sunday, September 25, 2011

S6 Episode 11: The God Complex

Well.  I'm not really sure how I feel about this episode.  I've been thinking about it for a week, and I still don't know if I like it or not.

The Doctor, Amy and Rory arrive at a hotel, every room of which contains a fear - clowns, mean girls, marionettes, etc.  Each person has their own room, a room which houses their greatest fear.  After seeing the thing which they fear, the person stops being afraid and utters the phrase, "Praise Him", which prompts a minotaur to hunt him or her down and eat their - what, their souls?  Anyway, the people all end up dead.  They get picked off one by one.

Of course, Amy opens a hotel room door and finds her fear, so the Doctor now has to race against time to save Amy.  Must be Tuesday.  He saves her, the Minotaur ends up dying after uttering some cryptic words, and the Doctor realizes that he needs to take Amy and Rory home.  He leaves them at their house (with a new car for Rory), and Amy tells Rory that the Doctor is saving them.

Curiouser and Curiouser:

Amy's fear lies behind Door 7.  The Doctor's fear lies behind Door 11.  This is the 11th Doctor, but Amy is by no means the 7th companion, even in the new series.  So what does Amy's door number mean?

Likes:

1)  Not sure if I like this or not, but it was the first thing that sprang to mind, so I'm going to go with my instinct:  I liked that we didn't see what either Amy or the Doctor feared.  I feel that Moffat is leaving too much up in the air since he took over the show, but at the same time, I liked that we didn't have anything concrete.  We may eventually find out, but I don't think it's necessary.

2)  Rory was, as always, brilliant.  It turns out that he never found his room because he doesn't have faith.  Faith in what?  Religion?  I talked about this with my husband this week, and we decided that he has no faith in Amy since she kept her pregnancy from him.  I quite agree with that; however, I still don't understand why Rory would have ever had faith in her from the beginning.  Even now, after all they've been through, I feel like she couldn't care less about him.  I don't know if they just don't have chemistry or what, but the Amy/Rory relationship seems so forced to me, and even when they're embracing, Amy is so cold towards Rory.   But I digress.

3)  I loved how Rory said to the Doctor, "that's my favorite car, how did you know?" and the Doctor replies, "because you showed me a photo and said, 'that's my favorite car.'"  I thought the exchange was hilarious.

4)  Howie, Rita and Gibbis were some of the most developed characters that we've seen so far.  They reminded me a lot of Craig and Sophie (incidentally, Craig returns to us next week!)

5)  You knew this was coming - AMY'S GONE!!!  I have to say, though, that I doubt that this is the last we're seeing of the Ponds.  But I almost did a little dance of joy.  However, I DISLIKE that there will be no more Rory if they actually are gone.


Dislikes:

1) Again, the callbacks to other characters bothered me.  I'm still not really sure why it bothers me so much when Moffat recalls Hartnell or other characters/aliens, but every time it just leaves me feeling highly uncomfortable.

2)  Why does the Doctor give Rory a car?  Rory doesn't need to be convinced to leave the TARDIS; he hasn't wanted to be there - well - EVER.  Maybe it was a way of saying "thank you".  I don't know, but I do know that for as hilarious as their exchange regarding the car was, I found the whole concept to be tasteless.  Like a consolation prize or something.  "You've lost all of time and space, but you did win this fabulous gift!"

3)  When the Minotaur was talking with the Doctor at the end, why wasn't his language being translated?  (I feel like this has happened before, too, but I can't remember which episode it would have been.)  The TARDIS should be translating everything that the Minotaur says - I'm sure it was done on purpose to show how the Doctor is clueless, but still, little stuff like this really bothers me.

4)  When the Doctor makes Amy lose her faith in him, I couldn't help but think, "Really?  That's all it takes?  She must not have had much faith in him to begin with".

5)  I didn't like Amy and Rory's exit.  First of all, I have a hard time believing that Amy is willing to just let him go so easily.  However, he's left them a few times before, so maybe she thinks that he'll be back (and I'm sure he will be, those short skirts are like a Siren's call).

6) What was the point of the Weeping Angels?  It couldn't have been Gibbis's fear, as he never turned to Minotaur-worship.  I don't like how Moffat just throws something in for the sake of throwing it in.  It's very frustrating.

7)  I wish that Rory would leave Amy and travel with the Doctor.  Arthur Darvil and Matt Smith remind me very much of Frazer Hines and Patrick Troughton.  I think it would be brilliant if Rory ditched the ungrateful bitch and took off with the Doctor.  How much fun would they have?

8)  The thing Amy fears is waiting for the Doctor?  That he'll never return?  God, could this girl be any more obsessed?  She needs to get over herself.  On the other hand, it's possible that because this fear is now "cured" by the Minotaur, that is why it's so easy for Amy to let the Doctor go?

9)  I'm adding this in late because I've been doing some more thinking about this episode, and I've come to the conclusion that it makes no sense.  The Minotaur feeds on faith.  So it shows them what they're afraid of, and suddenly they're saying "praise him".  Exactly HOW does this change occur?  It makes no sense, and now I think I have to say that I don't like this episode.

Hey, this literally just popped into my head - during The Impossible Astronaut, River, Rory and Amy are all called to the Doctor because they're the people he trusts the most.  Really?  He's letting them go now, he has (presumably) another two hundreds years to live, and after less than two years, THESE are the people he trusts the most?  River I can understand, since they apparently have this amazing relationship, but Amy and Rory?  He hasn't met ANYONE in two hundred years that can compare?  I guess you can argue that he trusts them the most because they already know what's going on, but still ... that wouldn't be trust, that would be called HEY YOUR DAUGHTER THAT YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT YET IS GOING TO TRY TO SHOOT ME IN THE FACE AND SET OFF ALL THE EVENTS THAT WOULDN'T HAPPEN IF YOU DIDN'T COME HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE - OOPS.

My husband and I were having a discussion about River Song last night, and I mentioned this in an online forum as well; I am so disappointed with what Moffat has done with River.  He could have made her into a much more interesting character.  Mels was fantastic, and instead of having her regenerate into Alex Kingston, she should have regenerated into a different actress.   Every time he meets her in the future (from this point on) she could be played by another actress, or at least, several actresses.  He could have continued this storyline for so long, and have the River he has a relationship with be one actress for a long time.  Mels should have been a character from the beginning, and Alex Kingston would still have been able to appear up until Let's Kill Hitler (as this is the end of her life, though she doesn't know it).  But, by making Mels regenerate into Alex, he now has to throw her into as many stories as possible because of her age.  How can the Doctor and River get together now when Alex is clearly aging?  She already looks much older than she did in Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead.

And with that, I'm not sure I have much more to say about The God Complex.  Yes, the Doctor has issues.  Blah blah blah.  We know this, it's been explored already in the last few episodes of the Tenth Doctor.  Do we need to go over this again?

Here's your palate-cleaner (and a shameless plug).  I made this video last weekend after hearing a brilliant Paul and Storm song.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post quite a bit, and agree with most of it (even the River Song stuff - I know, shock). A small clarification on number 6) - Near the end, The Doctor makes a point of saying that the hotel has been malfunctioning, so the rooms of all these people who have already been harvested are sticking around. The angels would have been some other person's worst fear (and rightly so).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think Moffat is just throwing shit in to throw it in, and that's what frustrates me.

    ReplyDelete